Jews have had a presence in Ireland for close to 1,000 years. Small communities would pop up, develop and expire throughout the Middle Ages, mainly in and around Dublin, but also in other port cities. It was not until the 18th and 19th centuries that a stronger Jewish presence established itself and, in 1892, Dublin Hebrew Congregation was founded. In the 20th century, the Jewish community rose to 5,000, with over a half-dozen synagogues at its peak in the early 1950s. However, due to economic migration, the community declined to about 1,800 by the early 1990s, but then grew to about 2,000. The Jewish community in its manner and organization is very similar to what is found elsewhere around the British Isles.